Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Undaunted




Why Ride Motorcycles


Ha! I’m always baffled by this one. Riding is amazing. In four decades of life in which I’ve been on bikes, I’ve only ridden Harleys or Triumphs, so my answer is specific to those, not the other sort! The scenes where my characters are on a bike (which are in not only Undaunted and Unruly, but also in Graveminder and in my self-published book Unfiltered & Unlawful) are based on my own feelings.


There’s a freedom, an adrenaline rush, and a sliver of danger at being on a machine with that sort of speed and no real protection if you crash. There’s a connection between riders and machine that is greater than in a car (even a stick shift, which is what I prefer in cars).  There’s a connection between driver and passenger on a bike.  It’s like an intricate dance at times, but you are partnering with a man, a machine, and a road which hides threats.  It’s one of the things I love most.  (And, yes, there is a Harley in my garage.)


EXCERPT:


You’re safe, Red,” he said in a softer voice. “I’ll take you to grandmother’s house.”


He watched me, obviously waiting for something.


The best my drunken brain could offer was, “The Big Bad wolf eats Red.”


He paused, grinned, and patted the seat. “You’re too drunk for that too.”


I blinked at him. Then his words sunk in, and I gasped. I hadn’t meant that, but now that he planted the idea in my mind, I couldn’t speak.


“You’re safe with me,” he promised, and then he patted the tiny seat behind him.


I wanted to tell him that I didn’t want to be safe, not after he’d planted such forbidden images in my mind. I yanked my mind out of the gutter and climbed onto the motorcycle, wrapped my arms around his waist, and tried not to shiver. I shouldn’t like the way he talked, but I did. I liked the whole package: the rescue, the insinuations, the motorcycle.

Maybe alcohol and fumbled petting with Quincy just skewed my judgment so severely that Zion seemed more tempting than he actually was. I wasn’t sure. I also didn’t think it mattered. By tomorrow, I would be too sober to think about kisses or any of the other things he might be good at doing.


He pulled my arms tighter around him, holding my hands together on his very taut stomach. It was a little embarrassing that being on the back of his Harley was doing far more for my libido than all of Quincy’s—and every other man’s before him—effort.


“Hold on, Red.”



MY REVIEW:

I absolutely loved this one.  Perhaps I am becoming more of a biker girl than I had imagined.  It was sexy and fun and HOT!!  Loved the characters!  Zion knew he was not as good for her as she deserved in his mind yet the pull between them was amazing.  Just a fun, good read!  A definite 4 star review from me.  Not as predictable as many books have been for me lately and I enjoyed that!


Ronnie Douglas talks about music and writing
Music is how I get into any mood. Writing romance is part of writing most of my books, so I have a few years of trying out different strategies. Often, though, I just turn on my music and let go.  I don’t need a special room. In fact, for the sequel to Undaunted, I wrote the sexiest scene in the book while I was at a layover in Iceland.  It made me giggle out loud at one point to realize that I was in a lounge with all these businessmen in their suits, and I was curled up in a chair sipping my tea and writing a sex scene.
My default was Lana Del Rey, but I use music to tweak my moods, so depending on what mood I needed, I’d swap out to a specific song and just play that song on repeat for the emotion I needed to call up.  A few of the ones I used were:
a.      Beyoncé “Crazy in Love”
b.      Rihanna “Pour it Up”
c.       Rihanna “Rude boy”
d.      Missy Elliot “Get Ur Freak on”
e.      Leon Else “Cheap Hotel”
f.        Train “Bruises”
g.      Charlie Worsham “How I Learned to Pray”

No comments:

Post a Comment