Saturday, February 7, 2015

WAY TO GO KARLY and ELGIN LIT FEST!!!!

I have to say from what I was able to experience of the Elgin Lit Fest, what a tremendous undertaking it must have been!  I mean to attain all those writers and have them stay and sign books for people and to be able to talk to them, I was a bit awe struck for sure.

 Now, I need to say that I am a huge supporter of the writers out there.  I have tried when I was younger but knew that I was not very good at it and should stick to reading.  I was always intrigued by those that could just start writing and it could actually be worth reading.  I would start and then have to start writing perhaps dialog or more than a page and it would sound ridiculous really fast.

Now, one could say, "But Kelly, you have a blog?"  Yeah that is not the same.  This is a glorified reading diary.  No, really it is.  I write like I am writing a diary and then I am done.  Yep this blog is my reading diary.

I attended the panel for Sci-Fi/Paranormal/Dystopian writers.  Now this is a genre that has become near and dear to my heart.  I will admit that if you had asked me if I liked these books just a few years ago, I would have given you a laugh and said no way.  But this has truly become a passion of mine in my reading.  So let us discuss the authors that were in attendance.

Shannon Stoker - as I said previously, I was super excited to see her again.  And I am happy to report that she has written another book that is in the hands of her agent.  YEAH!!!!  Her dystopian series "The Registry" is something that had intrigued me from the moment I read the synopsis.

Al Cedeno - As the only male on this panel, he was a highlight for my son who attended this with me.  He wrote "The Resurrection of Rey Pescador".  He wrote a book that he stated was hard to place in any certain category.  That didn't matter to my son who stated that he wanted that book.

G. P. Ching - She has written multiple books including the Soulkeepers series.  Another one my son requested to read. I really appreciated her taking the time afterward to talk to me too.

Kat Nichols - She wrote Family Secrets and it is her debut novel.  She said that it was about a high school girl who realizes she has powers.  Hmm, I am sensing my to read pile growing.

Amanda Fowler - She is currently working on her debut novel and helped serve as a moderator for the panel discussion, coming up with most of the questions.

Cherie Coyler - She wrote Embrace and Challenging Destiny which as she was discussing them, I added to my to read pile quickly.

Karly Kirkpatrick - Not only was this Literary Fest her creation, but she is an author that I always grab when a new bookcomes out.  Bloody Little Secrets was the best way to get hooked by this author in my opinion.  Just awesome to finally meet her in-person.

And then I walked over to see the authors up close and personal.  You could ask questions and buy books and get them signed.  I mean, how cool is that?!?!  So I became the epitome of the giggly schoolgirl as I met these authors and realized what a fan I truly am.

And to top it all off, I re-connected with a friend from high school and met his sweet little girl.  And I realized how fun it was to be able to find out you have even more in common with people as you grow older.  It is amazing to me!

Now, this tired girl is going to curl up with a book and then start things over tomorrow by possibly attending the Gail Borden children event.  The other events are mostly for writers which I am not, but I fully support them all.  Trust me folks, I will happily read to support these great local authors.

1 comment: