Thursday, February 19, 2015

Review: War Brides


War Brides
War Brides by Helen Bryan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Ok, so I have had this on my to read list for a while and for Chirstmas, I received this as my Secret Santa present. So, after re-starting our book club this tear, we wanted a different book than we had been reading. Well, this will definitely be a talked about book for sure.
Let me first say that I was confused for most of the book as to who was who and from which point of view it was being told from. With 5 main characters, that is too many to be switching pov's. If it hadn't been for this being a book club book, I probably would have given up.
Also it took so long for any of the back stories to get interesting and I spent about the first 3/4 of the books frustrated with it all. The last 1/4 of the book was finally the interesting part. But it was also a very rushed part of the book. I feel it should have been the opposite way - the first 1/4 could have been a rushed synopsis of the backstories and the last 3/4 could have been the interesting portions and current day. And that current day section was ridiculously thrown together. I was still left with a lot of "what happened to "'s. And that is very frustrating when you know it is not set up for a sequel.
The one thing I really liked was the diverseness of the characters and the dynamic personalities. I loved the idea of these brides marrying for different reasons and bonding over the war. I just wish I was not as distracted by the way it was put together.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment