Sunday, January 25, 2015

Review: Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail


Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I have a habit of reading the books before I see a movie as I am always intrigued how close to the original they keep. I looked up then to see what books were being made into movies last year and this and then made a note of the ones to read. This has been there and I still was not sure if I really wanted to read or even see the movie.

So, I decided it was not my normal book genre and I wanted to stretch those limits a bit. I placed the hold on it at the library. When it came up the other day, I was hesitant. Did I really want to read this one? Many of my friends had read it but were not overly praising it my any stretch. I drove over and picked it up though just to try it. If I couldn't get past the first 50 pages without wanting to stop, I would give it up.

Well, I started it and then I was halfway through it. I liked it but just like my friends, I was not overly thrilled with it. I understood the journey she was embarking on and all, but still, I question how safe all that "backwoods" hiking alone is?! I am a BIG fan of the National Park Service. BIG!!!! On our vacations, my family and I frequent them and hike around. This summer we hiked a mountain for crying out loud (yes small one it was but I am proud of our fam for accomplishing that task). But, we were reminded over and over by everyone along the way as well (and especially) by the the rangers not to go off alone. Too many risks and too dangerous.

That advice was stuck in my head this entire book. And I think that it clouded my enjoyment of the story. It was a journey that many go through in some way - when all seems to be lost and you need to find the strenghth to rebuild yourself, your life, your existance. But most do not try to do something as dangerous as this.

I do applaud her desire to accomplish hiking the PCT. My honey wants to hike the AT but does not want to take away from life the time to do so with small children around this house. A balance needs to be obtained and this just seemed more drastic than perhaps necessary.

All that being said, I gave this one a 3 out of 5 stars. I appreciate the journey but felt it was just not the best way to go about accomplishing it.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment