Friday, January 9, 2015

Review: The Rosie Project


The Rosie Project
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I had high hopes for liking this book more than I did. Let me start off by saying I must be one of one who does not watch the Big Bang Theory so therefore I have no idea who Sheldon is and why the character of Don is so like Sheldon. Therefore I can read this without drawing comparisons which it seems everyone else is doing.

Many people who had suggested the book to me said that it was a quick read with relatable, likable characters. And the plot was funny and the love story was a winner.

I would agree with a few things on that list but not all. Was it a quick read? Yes it was - I finished in about a day. Relatable and likable characters? No. I do not agree at all. I liked Rosie and Don but I really did not feel that Gene or Claudia were likable at all. I in fact disliked them greatly. Not because of their lifestyle choices or their relationship but because I felt they were not the friends that Don thought they were.

Was the plot funny? I seem to be the only one who did not find this a comedy. I am really unsure where the comedic portions were in this because it seemed more romantic drama than comedy. And was the story a winner? Umm, it was ok. I feel that this book brings Asperger's to the mainstream mind but there are other ways this has been explored as of recently and were perhaps a bit more effective.

That all being said, I did like the story for sure hence the three star rating. I just expected more given all the attention and love that this has achieved. I particularly enjoy a book when it is different which this classifies as that but I guess I was expecting to be blown away as others were from the many reviews out there. (And spoiler, I will be reading the Rosie Effect soon as I received it to review.)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment