Thursday, January 29, 2015

Day#4 - Are we really over halfway done?



The Scar Boys by Len Vlahos
 The Scar Boys
      First off, let me say that I had met this author at a YA Frenzy event hosted by Anderson Bookstore.  It was awesome.  Lots of authors to meet and greet and sign your books if you wanted.  Lots of books to add to one's "to read list".  And this was one of the books that upon listening to him speak about, I thought my son may enjoy reading.  But alas, the budget I had decided upon was spent and so it went on the "to be bought later" list.  And when I saw it was on this blog tour's book list, I became excited and was hoping I was right that my son would enjoy it.  And I was not delusional.  Yeah me!!

     So why did I like this book.  First off, I liked his flawed but normal characters.  I felt that these were kids I could have hung around with in high school.  (Yep, kind of a groupie type personality is what I could be labeled with I suppose).  These kids had a bond that may not be understandable from the outside world but it is there it is strong.  Having a kiddo who formed his own band, I get that bond and how it just stays there.  It is a rather remarkable thing.

     I also liked how the parents were involved in the kids lives.  I know I mention that a lot in my reviews, but seriously, I need to say that I definitely feel that parental influence seems lacking in the ya genre.  And I think that these young ones need to be reminded that we are here for them and are not invisible.  And so when books do portray that, I full-heartedly applaud them for it. (OK this mom is off her soap box.)

     One thing that perhaps I did not enjoy in this book is the idea that Henry never found anyone to be with.  No I was not looking for a true love moment with him, but I still would have liked him to found someone for a time.  I know that it makes him more realistic by not having him find anyone, but still, the hopeless romantic in me would have liked that.

     I did like the cover too.  It made me think of all the indie band posters I had seen in my youth and made me smile for sure.  And I loved how each chapter is named.  Well done.

     So all that being said, I would give this book 5 stars.  I enjoyed more than I had thought I would and it was well written and a quick read that I did not want to put down.  

Author:

 Len VlahosI dropped out of NYU film school in the mid 80s to play guitar and write songs for Woofing Cookies. We were a punk-pop four piece -- think R.E.M. meets the Ramones -- that toured up and down the East Coast, and had two singles and one full-length LP on Midnight Records. 

From the Author:
    Halfway through my sophomore year at NYU film school, I dropped out to go on the road as the guitar player in a punk pop band called Woofing Cookies. We had started the band in 11th grade, broke up when we graduated, but were lured back by the siren song of music at the end of freshman year. Our self-booked tour (30 or so gigs in 40 or so days, coast to coast) was to be our one way rocket to stardom. Unfortunately, no one told our van; it threw an engine rod eleven days in, stranding us in Georgia. We canceled the rest of the tour dates and tried to earn enough money to find our way home.

That idea, of a teenage punk band touring America in a dysfunctional van, stayed with me. I spent years trying to write the story, but it always came out as memoir. It wasn’t until I discovered the disfigured and damaged character of Harbinger Jones that I realized my experiences in Woofing Cookies were more universal, that they were really about the power of music to heal. When that all came together, I knew the story I needed to tell.

1 comment:

  1. I remember meeting this author at the YA Fan Frenzy too and thinking that this book sounded really good. Like you, though, I had to limit my budget and I couldn't buy them all!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete