Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Day 2 - Woot Woot!!



Day 2 of the book blitz and it rocks! Another great book!!


 "Gabi - A Girl In Pieces" by Isabel Quintero
 
     When I received this book, I have to say that the cover made me wonder what this book could possibly be about.  It was a bit odd.  My kiddos were kind of put off by the thing too.  I explained that it is probably how the main character saw herself (basing that solely on the title).

I will say that I am not really a fan of diary type books.  That style really does not interest me at all.  I prefer a traditional book in that sense. 

 I was a bit bored at first as I felt it was a bit like "an after-school special".  Then I kept going so we always hope that the story will improve, right?

And improve it did.  I realized that Gabi was just a normal high school kid with her own drama that would make any parent crazy.  But her parents were there with her.  Yes her dad had a drug problem and was gone most of the time in more ways than one.  But they didn't both totally abandon her for their own lives to fend for herself or her siblings.  (Yep that is a pet peeve of mine in literature if you have never been able to tell.)  I was happy to see that the mom was not only involved but also pretty normal per parental standards.

The "after-school special" aspect was there throughout the book and it grew on me.  I mean, I grew up on those things and would re-arrange schedules to watch them so how could I not like it, right?  So, the drama was there that makes a good story and is still believable as it happens to kids all the time.  Just not always in the same school at the same time.

So all in all it was an okay book in my opinion.  Not one I would normally have picked up but one I did like once it got going.  I think in my thoughts this book is a 3 star out of 5 rating.

I really appreciate being able to take part in this blog tour.  Can't wait to see what is next!!

    Author: Isabel Quintero was born and raised in Southern California. Her love of reading and writing comes from her mother reading to her before she went to bed, and from the teachers and professors who encouraged her to keep writing. Her love of chorizo and carne asada tacos comes from her dad grilling on Sundays during summertime. She is an elementary school library technician and loves sharing her passion for the written word with students. She also teaches community college part time and works as a freelance writer for the Arts Connection of San Bernardino. Quintero works as events coordinator for Orange Monkey Publishing and assistant editor for Tin Cannon, a literary journal. She still lives in SoCal and enjoys going on adventures with her wonderful husband, Fernando. 



Everything a Door
by Isabel Quintero

Angst. Sheer unadulterated, unapologetic teenage angst, is what first drove me to write in high school. And poetry, of course, because what else could it be? What other form could capture the loneliness that I felt? Only poetry.

Imagine this: tenth grade, teenage Isabel, a little plump, very light skinned and Mexican, very awkward, boy crazy and very curious about sex, but so afraid of boys that she’d run and hide in the bathroom whenever her crush would walk by. Now imagine that same Isabel being introduced to e.e.cummings at a time when she felt her life was falling apart. It changed everything. Gave me power and purpose. The way the words broke on the page, the words running together, punctuation rules be damned, the stanzas running amuck where before I had been taught that there was only one order to everything, actually made sense. This was what writing was supposed to do: crack the world open and allow you to hold its heart in your hand. Then listen to it sing, watch it plop to the ground, but not panic because you knew how to write, you knew how to put it back together.

This is what writing did for me. It gave me voice. It gave me control. e.e.fucking cummings, man.  That was it. Well, more like Ms. Agard, my tenth grade English teacher who made the class memorize “anyone lived in a pretty how town.” She knew the power of writing and made sure that we knew it too. It was like being given the key to everything. And everything is a door. Everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment