Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Review: Written in My Own Heart's Blood


Written in My Own Heart's Blood
Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



First off, I need to say that it breaks my heart not to give this one a full 5 stars. I am enthralled with the story of Jamie and Claire. I feel fully divested in their love and their family. But this book took me a long time to read - much much longer than any previous book. I was incredibly frustrated at times with the amount of details that were in the story related to the war that really ultimately did not alter the story. I wish it meant more to me the ins and outs of Washington's decisions, but honestly, there are so many characters in the story, I have a hard enough time trying to keep them all straight. Let alone the ones from real life versus the story at hand. I applaud her for trying but it just muddled things up for me. So much so that I would find myself stopping my reading to read something else.
Overall, I did enjoy it - especially the last half of the book. I have loved watching Jamie and Claire's relationship evolve from one book to the next. I truly enjoy seeing them mature together as well as keep the intimacy and spark that first had me engrossed in their story.
Will I read book #9? That is like asking if I would like to breathe oxygen today. Of course I will. But I am not sure if I will be counting down the months and years like I was previously.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment